2009/06/24

Bill C-47 authorizes monitoring of internet usage without judicial review

Peter Van Loan introduced this bill on June 18th, just before parliament rose for the summer. I've read it and am extremely disturbed by it's content.

The following is a letter I wrote my my MP. I urge all of you to do the same...

Letter follows:

Ian Xxxxxxxx

[Address Redacted]

Terrence Young

House of Commons

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0A6

June 24, 2009

NOTICE

Dear Mr. Young,

I just completed my first reading of bill C-47 “An Act regulating telecommunications facilities to support investigations” and I am very disturbed by its content.

Now, please correct me if I’m wrong, but it was my understanding that we lived in a free country where we were governed by a democratically elected parliament who enjoy legislative power granted by the consent of the governed. Bill C-47 reads like something I would expect from an authoritarian government attempting to rule a reluctant populace. Is Canada, indeed, the Soviet Union reborn?

I am quite willing to admit that there are dangers out there. The internet, and for that matter the whole world, is a dangerous place with unsavory people lurking in some of the corners. The Minister of Public Safety has been quoted as saying this bill won't provide new interception powers to police, but simply update the legal framework designed "in the era of the rotary telephone." I have to agree with him there. This bill gives law enforcement no new tools. This bill removes judicial oversight from the existing set of tools.

There’s a very good reason that a judicial warrant is required. In a free, democratic, country gross violations of privacy, such as those suggested in the bill, must be approved by a third party. If law enforcement officials cannot convince a judge that monitoring is required then they must not have much in the way of evidence. Monitoring of internet usage is no different from wiretapping a telephone, opening mail, or searching a dwelling.

Fortunately we do live in a democratic country and we do have a freely elected government which governs with the consent of those it governs. This legislation does NOT have my consent. Further, if you vote in favour of this legislation you will no longer enjoy my consent (albeit tacit) to represent me. I see this legislation as being extremely detrimental to Canada and all those residing within. This bill must not pass.

Without Prejudice, malice aforethought, vexation or frivolity,


Ian Xxxxxxxx


CC: Minister of Public Safety, Prime Minister, Michael Ignatieff, Gilles Duceppe, Jack Layton


No comments: