2007/02/01

This bloatware it getting ridiculous!

This is getting crazy...

My 1st computer was a 486 back in 1992. At the time it had a largish hard drive (120MB). That was a lot of disk space. A basic install of MS Office could be squeezed into under 10MB (while still maintaining most of the features in the current version which can consume up to a gig). I worked quite nicely with 9MB of free disk space.

Today, I needed to download a new driver for my Logitech mouse. Just a driver (my 1st mouse driver took less than 100k). How much did it want? 42MB!

How much lazier are these programmers going to get? There is no reason why we can't have small, fast code being written. But hey, disk is cheap, RAM is cheap, processors are cheap... why bother doing it well? Just throw more power at it.

Just imagine where MS Vista will take us!

No comments: