2007/01/06

Blood Oranges are back!

I've been waiting for this since spring... my favorite fruit has come back into season... the wonderful, yes little known (it seems sometimes) Blood Orange.
Less sweet than most oranges and featuring a reddish flesh these oranges are a joy to eat. It seems that too few people know about them though... I've had the following conversation too many times:

Me: (sitting quietly eating an orange)
Someone else: "What's that?" in a tone that implies I'm eating something unrecognizable and inexplicable
Me: "An orange." Usually in a "What the hell do you think it is?" tone.
Someone else: "It's red."
Me: "Yeah... have some." The yeah is usually one of those "No shit" kinda responses... I've also been surprised by the number of people refusing to try them... it's an orange, not an alien!

So if, like me, you love blood oranges I wish you the best of the season... if not... go buy/try some. They're very good.

No comments: