2007/01/02

NTP Servers

I'm sure that like me you're getting tired of hunting for reliable NTP servers... Sure, we have the old standbys:

time.nrc.ca
tick.utoronto.ca
tock.utoronto.ca

but what else?

Recently I was in Ottawa looking for local NTP sources (instead of hitting the UToronto servers) and discovered that the NTP project manages NTP server "pools". These pools are arranged geographically and hierarchically, with the ability to drill down. For example, the North America Pool has 244 servers in it right now, there are also 4 sub-pools for Canada (23 servers), Guatemala (3 servers), Mexico (4 servers) and USA (215 servers).

Check it out at http://www.pool.ntp.org

Since I discovered this I've been converting my existing servers to use the Canada pool.

They're always looking for new servers to make the pools more reliable, so if you happen to have a NTP server with a static IP please consider contributing it to the pool. I expect to be adding a couple in the next few weeks. Support the community effort.

No comments: